CFU Energy Conservation Tree Grant
Receive a Grant From CFU For Your Large Tree Planting Project
The Plant a Tree program provides Energy Conservation Tree Grants with 50% cost sharing for qualifying trees used in large planting projects for businesses, public agencies, education facilities, civic groups and nonprofit organizations up to $1,500.
- Public Agencies
- Education Facilities
- Civic Groups
- Non-profit Organizations
Grant Requirements and Limits
- Trees must be planted on property served by the Cedar Falls Municipal Electric Utility.
- Tree species eligible for funding are limited to those included on the Approved Species List.
- Priority will be given to plantings that provide energy conservation benefits by shading and/or sheltering buildings that are heated and cooled. Strategically placed shade and windbreak plantings that promote energy conservation are ideal projects for this program. Legacy plantings that provide environmental benefits other than energy conservation will also be considered.
- Windbreaks will be considered only when located west or north of heated structures on the property.
- Cedar Falls Utilities will pay 50% of the cost of trees, up to a maximum of $1,500 per project. Funds will cover plant material costs only; planting costs are not funded.
- Reimbursement for approved plantings will be upon receipt of bills from the applicant and documentation that the planting has been completed as presented in the application. Documentation may be by photograph or by on-site inspection by a member of the Plant A Tree Advisory Committee.
- The planting site, soil and moisture conditions must be suitable for the tree species selected.
- All plantings must comply with the City’s Right-of-Way Street Tree Planting Policy.
How to Apply
- Complete the Energy Conservation Tree Grant application before June 1. Review of grant applications for both spring and fall plantings will begin March 1 and continue until funds are exhausted. Grant decisions will be made on a first-come, first-serve basis, so early application is advantageous.
- Attach a site plan showing locations and species of existing trees and trees to be planted.
- Include a list of trees for which funding is requested, including species, height and caliper of each, with price quotations from at least two suppliers.
- Submit the application with attachments by emailing it to email@example.com or dropping it off at our Customer Service office at 1 Utility Parkway in Cedar Falls, open weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.