Look Up & Live Power Line Safety
Practice power line safety. Before starting any project keep these power line safety measures in mind.
- Consider all lines (including downed power lines) to be live and dangerous.
- Locate all overhead power lines and stay at least 10 feet away.
- Do not touch anything in contact with a power line.
- Carry ladders and equipment horizontally.
- Stay at least 35 feet away from downed power lines and call CFU at 319-268-5297 immediately.
- It is also important to teach your kids not to fly kites or play in trees near power lines.
If a vehicle contacts a power line or utility pole:
- Tell others not to approach and stay at least 35 feet away.
- Have someone call CFU at 319-268-5297 to de-energize the line.
- Stay inside your vehicle unless you see fire or smoke.
In the event you are in a vehicle and there is fire or smoke:
- Do not touch the ground and vehicle at the same time.
- Jump from the vehicle with your feet together.
- Shuffle away.
- Avoid lifting your feet.