What can we help you find?



Frequently Asked Questions During Health Threat

Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Is drinking water safe?
Yes. As noted by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, COVID-19 virus has not been detected in drinking water supplies. Based on current evidence, the risk to water supplies is very low. Disinfection methods used in drinking water treatment are effective for inactivation of coronaviruses and all other viruses. Iowans can continue to use and drink water from their tap as usual. 

How long will CFU remain closed to customers?
We remain committed to provide high-quality service to our customers, while doing our part to protect the health of our community. As the situation evolves, CFU leadership will continue to meet daily to ensure we are both addressing the needs of the community and following the recommended guidelines of the CDC and Iowa Department of Public Health. For ongoing information, customers can visit cfu.net/update, find us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter @CFUNews

How can I pay my bill without coming into the office?
There are many alternative methods for paying your bill:

  • Call our office at 319-268-5280 and pay over the phone with a debit/credit card or e-Check
  • Pay your bill online at cfu.net
  • Use our 24-hour, secure drop boxes at CFU’s office building (under the canopy) or at the University Book Store, located 1003 West 23rd Street.

Is CFU customer service staff still available?
Customer service staff will remain available to answer questions and accept payments over the phone Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at 319-268-5280.

Will the Help Desk still be available for TV, internet or phone tech support?
Yes. Customers with TV, internet or phone tech support questions can contact the CFU Help Desk at 319-268-5221. The Help Desk will remain available weekdays from 6 a.m. to midnight and weekends from 8 a.m. to midnight.

I need to return my communications equipment.  What do I do?
A table will be set up in our office vestibule, along with plastic bags and slips to label the bag with your name and address. Receipts for returned equipment will be mailed to customers.

I need to pick up communications equipment.  What do I do?
If you need communications equipment, please call 319-268-5283. We will make arrangements with you to obtain what you need.

What if I can’t pay my bill?
If you are having difficulty paying all or part of your bill, please call our office at 319-268-5280.

Will you still read my meters?
CFU meter reading personnel intend to read all outside meters according to their normal route schedule. If you have indoor meter(s), you may call customer service at 319-268-5280 with your meter read or submit it online at cfu.net/water.

I have an install scheduled for communications services.  Will CFU keep that appointment?
If you have an installation scheduled that needs to be postponed, a CFU representative will contact you about rescheduling that appointment.

I have an appointment for a technician to come to my home for a non-emergency service. Will you be keeping that appointment?
If you have a service call scheduled for a non-emergency, a CFU representative will contact you about rescheduling that appointment.

I am experiencing an electric, water or a communications outage.  What should I do?
Please call our outage number as normal, at 319-268-6999. CFU personnel will respond as quickly as possible to resolve any service interruptions.

I smell natural gas or need help with my gas service.  What should I do?
If you smell natural gas or suspect a gas leak, please leave the building immediately without operating light switches or a telephone. Gas can be ignited with the slightest spark or nearby heat or flames. After you’ve moved to a safe location, call CFU at 319-268-5340. Gas services staff will still be available for mission critical essential services and will deploy necessary staff to resolve issues.