CFU Provides Free Technical Reviews for Those Looking to Install Rooftop Solar
Cedar Falls Utilities encourages customers considering a solar installation to take advantage of a free technical review of project proposals by CFU’s Energy Services team.
Some solar installation companies may share false and misleading claims with customers in Cedar Falls. Customers should use caution to avoid overpaying for rooftop solar systems.
CFU urges customers to work with multiple companies to get quotes when considering a solar installation. Customers should also keep in mind:
- No Chosen Vendor - CFU does not recommend or have a special arrangement or relationship with any solar installation company.
- No Limit - CFU does not limit the number of customers who can install solar panels.
- Zero Cost - Solar companies offering “zero cost” installations are actually providing long-term financing for customers. The payback on customer-owned solar panels may stretch out over many years. Customers should carefully consider the terms of any agreement.
- Non-profit Org - Recently, a solar company advertising in Cedar Falls was posing as a non-profit organization. Customers should fully investigate potential solar vendors.
- Solar Grants - Some solar companies advertising to customers in Cedar Falls are promoting potential grants available for utility customers in Cedar Falls. CFU has not seen evidence of solar companies connecting customers with grant money for solar projects.
CFU’s energy engineering staff can help customers review proposals from potential solar companies. Customers can email firstname.lastname@example.org to have a solar installation proposal reviewed for technical accuracy.
Cedar Falls Utilities supports customers who choose to install solar and has established a tariff for purchasing energy from generating facilities owned by customers. Systems up to 25 KW of nameplate capacity (50 kW for business) qualify for the Energy Exchange Rate. This rate establishes the amount CFU will credit to customers for excess renewable energy they generate and sell to us.