Cedar Falls Utilities works with customers who install renewable generating systems.
Installing and Connecting
For information about connecting a residential renewable energy system to CFU’s electric distribution system, please call 319-266-1761 and ask for Energy Services. Electric Service Policy. An application for parallel operation must be completed. CFU Energy Exchange Application
- Compete the Energy Exchange Application
- CFU Engineering reviews and approves the application by sending a signed copy of the Energy Exchange Application back to you.
- Complete the installation with appropriate permits and inspections. City of Cedar Falls | Permitting & Licensing
- Contact CFU to schedule a Disconnect Test. (We will swap the meter out and make rate changes to the Energy Exchange rate at this time.)
- Enjoy your new renewable energy system
CFU has established a tariff for purchasing energy from generating facilities owned by customers. Systems up to 25 KW of nameplate capacity (50 kW for business) qualify for the Energy Exchange Rate. This rate establishes the amount CFU will credit to customers for excess renewable energy they generate and sell to us. The Energy Exchange Rates are available in the annual Electric Rate Schedule.