Want to watch ESPN3 or other web content on your TV? Here's how.
To watch web content from ESPN3, UNIPanthers.com or other sites on your TV, you need two things:
1. A device connected to the internet that allows you to open a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, FireFox, Chrome or Safari. Usually this device will be a laptop, tablet or a smart phone that's connected to a wi-fi network. Please note that not all connected devices allow web browsing. For example, your Blu-Ray player, game console, Apple TV or television set may be connected, but it only allows you to visit a small number of pre-determined websites such as YouTube or Netflix -- you can't use it to open a web browser.
2. A TV with an input port that's compatible with the output from your internet device. On HDTVs you will usually find both HDMI and VGA ports. These and other common input ports and jacks are pictured below.
Need Help? You can call our Help Desk for assistance at 319-268-5221.
Connect a laptop to your TV download written instructions
If your laptop and TV both have HDMI ports, you've got it made. Use an HDMI cable to connect them. HDMI will give you the best quality picture and it carries both video and audio. After connecting the HDMI cable, press the input button on your TV remote until the signal from the laptop is displayed on the TV. If your laptop or TV doesn't have an HDMI port, download the instructions above for more information.
Connect an Apple device (iPad, iPhone, iTouch) to your TV
The video below shows the cables you can use to connect an iPad, iPhone or iTouch to a TV in order to view web content. NOTES for Apple users:
- Any web video you can access through your Apple device can be displayed on a TV. Use a cable to connect your Apple device to a TV as shown in the video below. After the two are connected, you'll need to press the INPUT or SOURCE button on your TV's remote control until the video from the Apple device is displayed on the TV screen.
- If you also have an Apple TV, some web content will be compatible with the AirPlay feature. In that case, you can use your iPad, iPod or iPhone (which must be connected to the same home wi-fi network as your Apple TV) to stream web content to your television through the Apple TV. Be aware that not all web content can be streamed through AirPlay.
- Remember that Apple devices (iPads, iPhones and iPods) do not allow you to view video in the widely-used Adobe Flash format. ESPN3 and lots of other web video is in Flash, so you won't be able to use an apple device to watch it.
Connect Using Google Chromecast
If your TV has an HDMI port, you can watch content using Chromecast without any cables. After purchasing the Chromecast device, get started in three steps: plug Chromecast into your HDMI port, set up the device and connect it to WiFi, then send video from your smartphone, tablet or laptop to your TV with the press of a button. Chromecast works with many devices, including Android tablets and smartphones, iPhones, iPads, and your laptop when using the Chrome web browser for Mac and Windows. More info here.
Use XBox Live to watch ESPN3 on your TV
Basic Types of Jacks
Basic Types of Ports